It doesn’t get any more traditional than this all time favourite dish. With a healthy twist on the dish it will boost weight loss whilst giving you amazing tastes and flavours. Great for filling the whole family up and is really cheap to make. Ideal for batch cooking and freezing.
An all round family favourite packed full of speed foods.
Syn free if using cheese as healthy extra a
- Low calorie cooking spray,
- 1 large onion finely chopped,
- 2 tsp of lazy garlic or 2 garlic cloves crushed,
- 500g lean mince beef 5% fat,
- 200g passata,
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes,
- 4 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce,
- 1 tbsp. mixed herbs,
- 8 large potatoes,
- 160g light grated cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan or gas mark 5. Peel the potatoes and cut them into bite sized cubes then place then in a pan of cold water and cook for 20-30 minutes until tender. Drain then mash until smooth and creamy and set aside.
- Spray a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place on a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until the onions are slightly browned.
- Add the mince and cook for a further 5 minutes until the mince has browned. Add the tinned tomatoes, passata, Worcestershire sauce and mixed herbs and simmer for 10- 15 minutes until the sauce has reduced.
- Place the mince mixture in a large oven proof dish then spoon the mash on top of the mince and top with grated cheese. Place in the oven for roughly 15-20 mins until the mash is slightly golden and the cheese has melted.
Optional:- You can use turkey or pork mince for this dish to give it a different taste and can also add what ever herbs you desire. You can also add more or less veg to the dish depending on taste. Cheese is optional.
To see the full tutorial for this dish click here >>> Shepard’s pie tutorial
I do my shepherds pie in 4 mini Pyrex dishes which are great for freezing and reheating and help with individual portion sizes. Follow the link below to get your.